Skip to content

Subject: Clothing and apparel -- Wisconsin -- Manitowoc

No additional authority information available for Clothing and apparel -- Wisconsin -- Manitowoc.


Broadside advertising J. L. Brandeis' Clothing Store, Manitowoc, WisconsinBroadside advertising J. L. Brandeis' Clothing Store, Manitowoc, Wisconsin

Broadside - Author: J[onas] L[epold] Brandeis / Pictorial Printing Co., 74 and 76 Randolph St., Chicago Title: ATTENSHUN-KOOMPAGNIE! GO EVERYBODY AND SEE THE SPLENDID NEW SPRING STOCK OF CLOTHING AT J. L. BRANDEIS'. Published: Manitowoc, Wis., ca. 1870 Description: Lithographic Broadside, 17 1/8"h x 11 ½"h at sheet edge, uncolored An eye-catching and extraordinarily rare advertising Broadside, produced for a major Midwestern Jewish businessman. This marvelous Broadside advertises the wares of J. L. Brandeis' Clothing Store in Manitowoc, Wisconsin. The focal point is a caricature of three soldiers on parade, one with a dress dangling from his bayonet and another bearing a sign exhorting viewers to patronize Brandeis' establishment. Below the illustration a caption reads, "If you, reader, have time to follow this Grand Procession, you will find they will 'Halt!' 'Right about face,' and 'dress up' at Brandeis' Clothing Store…" Jonas Leopold Brandeis (1836-1903), a tanner by trade, emigrated from Prague (then part of the Austro-Hungarian empire) to the United States some time in the 1850s. He moved to the Wisconsin frontier, married Fannie Teweles of Milwaukee, and in 1860 settled in Manitowoc. There "he engaged in the fur business, trading with the Manitowoc tribes in that section and sending the furs to Milwaukee and Chicago. He was also the first grain buyer in that section of Wisconsin. He became the largest independent buyer of furs in northwest Wisconsin and an important factor in the business affairs of the community." His shop was located near the intersection of North Eighth and York Streets. In 1881 Brandeis moved his family to Omaha, Nebraska and established J.L. Brandeis & Sons Department Store, which for decades was that city's leading retail establishment. One of his sons perished on the Titanic. The J. L. Brandeis and Sons Store Building was opened by Brandeis, a notable member of Omaha's Jewish community, in 1906. Wise Memorial Hospital, named in honor of Rabbi Joseph M. Wise, was located at 406 South 24th Street on a lot donated by Brandeis's wife. Built in 1912 for $125,000, between 1912 and 1917 the hospital treated more than 1,000 patients. In 1930 the institution closed.