Skip to content
Some of the content on this page was edited by or generated with AI.Learn more. See an error?Email us.

Note Regarding the Purchase of Church Property by the Peoria Hebrew Association, Peoria, Illinois, July 1, 1863


Survey Certificate - 1863 Land Survey Document Peoria Il for the Hebrew Assoc. purchase of Presbyterian church Church property…this was the 1st congregation “Anshai Emeth,” or “People of Truth.” The first Jewish settlers came to Peoria in approximately 1847. They soon organized themselves into groups and worshiped in private homes. Early settlers included Jacob Liebenstein (1848), Henry Ullman and Leopold Rosenfeld (1849), Abraham Schradski and Leopold Ballenberg (1851), and Aaron, Harry and David Ulman (1852), and Henry Schwabacker. Abraham Frank, A. Rosenblat, Hart Ancker, A. Ackerland, Arnold Goodheart, and Abraham Solomon formally organized a congregation in 1859 … On May 2, 1863, the members of this congregation purchased the old Presbyterian church from the Universalists with donations from both local Jews and Christians. The building was located on Fulton Street between Adams and Jefferson streets. In 1863, the congregation had 34 members. Regular services were held under the direction of Rabbi Max Moses from 1863 and 1873.


Associated People/Businesses

No associated people or businesses listed.


Geography


Subjects


Physical Location

Arc.MS.56, Box 12, Folder 11